Capacitance Prelab Assignment
Name:_________________________ Lab Section:________ 4-digit Code Number:____________
- What assumption is made in this lab that allows us to ignore the fringing field that bulges out from the edges of real capacitors?
- Describe the relationship between the electric field vector of the capacitor and the differential area vector of the chosen Gaussian surface.
- The voltage integral can be done along any path, but a straight line path along one of the electric field lines is the most convenient. Why?
- How is the ohm meter used to determine that the plates are in physical contact?
- The capacitance formula is valid for a parallel-plate capacitor with vacuum between the plates. How should it be adjusted if an insulating material (air, glass, plastic, etc.) called a dielectric sits between the plates?
- The reading of the micrometer head is recorded when the ohm meter starts to read 0 ohm. Why?
Go to the lab