LECTURER: Dr. Simon Dalley
· Text: Fundamentals of Physics, 9th Edition (Wiley), by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker
· Lecture: MTuWThF, 11:00am-12:50 am, 158 Fondren Science Building
· Contact Instructor:
o Phone (214) 768-2109
o Office 207 Fondren Science
o E-mail: <email@example.com>
· Syllabus (lecture chapters, homework/quiz due dates)
· Quizzes (only printed ones are accepted, attempt before each lecture)
· Ideal homework solution
· Practice questions with solutions (use for test prep)
· Test grading criteria
· Test answers (available after each test)
· Final exam instructions
· I will not be using the WileyPlus online system, but you may use that resource here.
o Shoot the monkey
o Non-Inertial frames of reference give rise to fictitious forces, such as the Coriolis force that governs large scale weather patterns on Earth.
o Conservation of Energy for the entire universe implies existence of Dark Energy (2011 Physics Nobel Prize)
o Check out a crash test video of how your car absorbs the impulse of a collision.
o Follow the collisions of elementary particles (protons, quarks, electrons,..) performed at the largest machines in the world, such as the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
o Play with an orbit simulator to understand how “freely falling” objects can stay above Earth’s surface.
o (Disastrous) resonant oscillation of the Tacoma bridge
o Listen to sound clips of varying intensity and frequency to determine your threshold of hearing