Transfer Credit Requests

To request that the Physics Department evaluate an external course for transfer credit, you will need to provide the standard petition form signed by your advisor, along with a course description with course prerequirements (especially math requirements), and a full syllabus (including the lab, if relevant). Any additional information you can provide, such as course text, exams, assignments, and a course web address, would be helpful. You may leave these materials with the Physics Dept secretary in the Physics Office, Rm 102 Fondren Science, and check back after two weeks. [Please DO NOT email forms; hardcopy only. Also note, during June and July processing may be limited by faculty availablilty.]

Once matriculated at SMU, Dedman College transfer policy requires that you obtain transfer approval prior to taking an external course. Please provide the relevant materials before the end of the course registration period during the preceding semester.

The policy also states:

"Special notes: After matriculation, courses for the GEC Fundamentals (English, Math, and IT Fundamentals) must be taken in residence at SMU and may not be taken by transfer. Courses required for majors or for admission to majors normally will not be allowed by transfer after matriculation."

UC Credit:

Many courses will be approved for limited transfer only (Phys 10xx) because they do not specifically match a course we offer. In this case you will need to petition separately to the University Curriculum Committee for UC credit.

If you have other questions, you may email them to olness AT DO NOT EMAILS FORMS TO THIS ADDRESS, THEY WILL BE IGNORED!