The URL of this page is http://www.physics.smu.edu/kjh/7314/15/7314.html
Physics 7314 and 7315
Field Theory and Elementary Particles
Fall 2015 and Spr 2016 Section 001
This page last revised: 15 Jan 2016
Possibly Useful News
(including HW suggestions) (Last update: 28 Apr 2016)
- Class Meeting
- MWF 10:30am - 11:50am 26 Fondren Science
- Web Site
- You can get here from the physics dept home page at
by clicking on Courses -> 7314 Field Theory.
- Homework Assignments
- Some Homework Solutions
- Prof. Kent Hornbostel
- Office: 209 FS
- Phone: 214 768 1048
- email: kjh AT mail.physics.smu.edu
- Office hours
- Open. Best times are probably after lecture and MTW 1pm - 7pm.
- Graduate Quantum 6335-6336, FT I 7314
- I. J. R. Aitchison and A. J. G. Hey, Gauge Theories in Particle Physics, Vol I and II (3rd Ed),
Inst of Physics, 2003 and 2004, or 4th Ed, 2013.
There's a copy of both editions and other Field Theory and Particle Physics texts
in the grad library, Rm 38A, Fondren Science, along a number of iterations of the
Review of Particle Physics from the Particle Data Group.
Here are lists of corrections for 3rd Ed Volume I,
3rd Ed Volume II, 4th Ed Volume I
and 4th Ed Volume II,
- Lecture Notes
- Weekly (very approximately) problem sets and readings.
I'll post solutions to some of the problems here.
- Late Homework: 15% off per day for the first four days, or until graded
(whichever is first).
Thereafter I'll accept (but won't grade) them at any time for 25% credit.
- Grading and Exams
- Your grade will be based on your homework.
- From the Provost:
- Students with Disabilities
- Disability Accommodations: Students needing academic accommodations
for a disability must first register with Disability Accommodations & Success
Strategies (DASS). Students can call 214-768-1470 or visit
http://www.smu.edu/Provost/ALEC/DASS to begin the process. Once registered,
students should then schedule an appointment with the professor as early in the
semester as possible, present a DASS Accommodation Letter, and make appropriate
arrangements. Please note that accommodations are not retroactive and require
advance notice to implement.
- SMU Policy on Religious Holidays
- Religious Observance: Religiously observant students wishing to be
absent on holidays that require missing class should notify their professors in
writing at the beginning of the semester, and should discuss with them, in
advance, acceptable ways of making up any work missed because of the absence.
(See University Policy No. 1.9.)
- SMU Policy on Excused Extracurricular Absences
- Excused Absences for University Extracurricular Activities: Students
participating in an officially sanctioned, scheduled University extracurricular
activity should be given the opportunity to make up class assignments or other
graded assignments missed as a result of their participation. It is the
responsibility of the student to make arrangements with the instructor prior to
any missed scheduled examination or other missed assignment for making up the
work. (University Undergraduate Catalogue)
Back to the Physics Department Home Page