Ways of Knowing (KNW 2333)
This course will provide students with an understanding of the scientific method
sufficient to detect pseudoscience in its many guises: paranormal phenomena, free-energy
devices, alternative medicine, intelligent design creationism/creation science,
denial of human-induced climate change, propaganda, denial of science-based
medicine, misuse of data and statistics, and many others. Students will learn to think
critically and creatively and to question outlandish claims, hype, propaganda, outright
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- (Ways of Knowing) Students will be able to demonstrate a knowledge of more than one disciplinary practice.
- (Ways of Knowing) Students will be able to explain how bringing more than one practice to an examination of the course
topic contributes to knowing about that topic.
- (Writing) Through multiple opportunities supervised and/or directed by a professor, an editor or other authority,
students will demonstrate proper use of language through completion of a substantial amount of purposeful writing
appropriate for a specific or targeted audience.
- (Information Literacy) Students will be able to select and use the appropriate research methods and search tools for needed information.
- (Information Literacy) Students will be able to evaluate sources for quality of information for a given information need.
General Cultural Formations Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use inter/multi-disciplinary approaches
for understanding complex issues.
Specific KNW2333/CFB3333/PHYS3333 Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to detect pseudoscience in its many guises: paranormal phenomena,
free-energy devices, alternative medicine, intelligent design creationism, and many others.
- Students will learn to think critically and to question outlandish claims, hype, and outright BS.
- Students' writing will improve.
- Students will be able to distinguish credible sources of information
from nonsense; students will become intelligent consumers of information.