the Adobe Acrobat Reader if you do not already have it.
Others are in PostScript format and require the free
ghostview program. Download
ghostview if you do not already have it.
Exam Dates: Open book, notes
Make-up Exams: You must present me with a verifiable excuse
in writing. No make-up will be given for the final exam.
Homework Quizzes: 20 minutes long,
at the beginning of lecture, closed book, based strongly on
Make-up Quizzes: There are none.
Reading Quizzes: Unannounced, based on the assigned reading,
very short, very easy (if you have done the assigned reading)
Homework: Due on the day of the quiz.
Laboratory: If you need the one-credit laboratory course, you
must register separately for Physics 1106.
Grading: (Absolute, not curved)
Letter Grade Break Points
- Exam 1 - Thursday 16 June 2005
- Exam 2 - Thursday 30 June 2005
- Exam 3 - Thursday 14 July 2005
- Final Exam (Cumulative) - Thursday 28 July 2005
Grade Summary -
All the individual test grades arranged by last four digits of
student ID number
University Holiday: Monday 4 July 2005
Students with disabilities, medically excused absences, absences in general
Official University Calendar
- Exam 1 - 20%
- Exam 2 - 20%
- Exam 3 - 20%
- Final - 20%
- Homework Quizzes - 10% (Drop lowest)
- Homework - 5% (Drop lowest)
- Reading Quizzes - 5% (Drop lowest)
Try this link to a
java lens simulator
explore special relativity through starship flight simulation.
Relativity Links: Sites, movies, and literature.
- Ch23 - Q:2,14,15,18,21,22; P:7,15,21,33,40,45,54; X:17,26.
- Ch24 - Q:3,4,11,13; P:4,10,11,28,51,62; X:34,35,55.
- Ch25 - Q:2,5,8,14,15; P:6,18,38,45,66; X:.
- Ch26 - Q:2,7,11,14; P:3,7,16,17,23,34,58; X:61.
- Ch27 - Q:5,17,19,20; P:11,21,36,73; X:.
- Ch28 - Q:6,7,8,13,16,17,29; P:6,9,21,36; X:67,68.
- Ch29 - Q:3,7,9,15,20; P:2,11,20,32; X:.
- Ch30 - Q:7,9,12,30; P:1,6,17,21,23,31; X:.
- Ch31 - Q:4,6,10,11,15,16,18,19; P:9,19,28,30;
X:read, do not solve 16,23,24,54.
- Ch32 - Q:2,6; P:1,10,17,26,31,48; X:.
- Ch33 - Q:2,4,5,6,8,11,18,21,22; P:2,8,15,20,21,26; X:62.
- Ch34 - Q:6,7,10,11,14,15,16,23; P:5,11,15,59;
X:Can the electromagnetic fields from transmission lines
cause cancer? How about fields from mobile phones?
- Ch35 - Q:8,9,19,23; P:10,20,36,37; X:.
- Ch36 - Q:2,3,6,7,17,19; P: 7,21,33,68;
X:In William Golding's Lord of the Flies the
character Piggy uses his glasses to focus the sun's rays and kindle a
fire. Later, the boys abuse Piggy and break his glasses. He is unable
to identify them at close range because he is nearsighted. Find the
flaw in this narrative. It is still possible to start a fire with
Piggy's (unbroken) glasses; how could this have been done?
- Ch37 - Q:1,2,3,10; P:1,30,31,37; X:.
- Ch38 - Q:4,6,11,14; P:2,24,42; X:.