Read Marion and Thornton Chapter 1, Shankar Chapter 7, 8.
- Use MKS units throughout and give the answers both analytically and
numerically. From the following four fundamental constants (and only these)
using dimensional analysis, construct quantities with the dimensions of:
- G = 6.67259 x 10-11 N.m2/kg2
- hbar = 1.05457266 x 10-34 J.s
- c = 2.99792458 x 108 m/s
- kB = 1.380658 x 10-23 J/K
- In the matrix equation D = ABC, if D is a 2x2 matrix, A is a 2x5 matrix,
and C is a 2x2 matrix, what are the dimensions of B? How many rows and
how many columns?
- Write the matrix equation D=ABC in index notation. Include limits on
- If x is the column vector with components (1,2,3), what is the result of
the following matrix multiplications?
- x xT
- xT x
- Marion and Thornton 1.2b
- Marion and Thornton 1.3
- What is the effect of this rotation on the column vector (2, 1, 5)?
- Shankar 8.1.1