Acceleration and Freefall Prelab Assignment
4-digit Code Number:_______________________________
- Which of the following statements is correct for an object
released from rest, freefalling in the Earth's gravity? (Neglect
air resistance.) Circle all true statements.
- the object falls 9.8 m during the first second of time
- during each second the object falls 9.8 m
- the average speed during the first second of time is 4.9 m/s
- the acceleration changes by 9.8 m/s2 every second
- the acceleration of the object is proportional to its weight
- Consider the following graphs (note the axes carefully). Which
of these represent one-dimensional motion at constant speed?
Circle all that apply.
- A golfer drives a golfball in a high arcking trajectory, a parabola
that is concave down. The range is non-zero. Neglect air resistance.
When the ball is at the highest point in its flight,
- its velocity and acceleration vectors are both zero.
- its velocity vector is zero, but its acceleration vector is nonzero.
- its velocity vector is nonzero, but its acceleration vector is zero.
- its velocity and acceleration vectors are both nonzero.
- none of these.
- A projectile fired vertically upward from ground level is in the
air for 6.00 seconds before returning to the ground. What was the
speed of the projectile at launch? Use g = 9.80 m/s2.
- Solve these equations for vox in terms of
xf, yf, and ay by eliminating t.
yf = ½ ay t2
xf = vox t
Go to the lab