Newton's Second Law Prelab Assignment
4-digit Code Number:_______________________________
- Consider the following Atwood's machine with
m2 > m1,
and with a massless, frictionless ideal pulley.
- What is the acceleration of the mass m2?
- What is the tension in the string?
- Mass m1 rests on a rough horizontal surface while mass
m2 hangs over a massless, frictionless ideal pulley.
Explain in detail how this setup could be used to determine
the coeficient of static friction
between m1 and the table.
(Remember, this is static friction, so what is the
acceleration?) That is, explain carefully
- what quantities must be measured,
- with what instruments quantities are to be measured (only measuring
instruments that you have used previously in this course),
- what procedures are to be used, in particular how the maximum value
of m2 is determined,
- and derive an equation for
in terms of the quantities above.
Go to the lab