Standing Waves Prelab Assignment
4-digit Code Number:_______________________________
- The diagram below shows a snapshot of a vibrating string taken at time
- What is the wavelength (value, not definition)?
- What is the amplitude (value, not definition)?
- If T is the period of oscillation, sketch a snapshot of the wave
one half period later, at t=T/2.
- The next experiment consists of a tuning fork mounted to the lab bench,
which vibrates a horizontal string that can be draped over a pulley and
loaded with mass.
The equation describing standing waves in a string under tension is
where f is the linear frequency of oscillation,
is the wavelength
of the vibrations, T is the tension in the string, and
is the linear
mass density of the string. Explain in detail how you would determine (using
tools in the lab, and without using the formula):
- the wavelength of the vibrations
- the tension in the string
- the linear mass density of the string
Go to the lab