The URL of this page is http://www.physics.smu.edu/scalise/P3368sp17/
Principles of Astrophysics and Cosmology - Spring 2017
Professor Randall J. Scalise
- Lecture meeting times and place: MWF 11:00 - 11:50AM
in room 153 Fondren Science Building
- Office hours: After lecture and by appointment.
- Call or leave a message at 768-2504, or
- Leave a note in the Physics Department Office - 102 Fondren Science, or
- send me e-mail:
- Homework 50%
- Midterm Exam 20%
- Final Exam 20%
- Research paper 10% - 10 pages double spaced Times New Roman 12 point, 1 inch margins, not counting title page and bibliography.
- Homework Assignments Due dates are strictly enforced.
50% if late; 0% once the solutions are posted. You may work together, but
the work that you turn in should be unique. Identical work will receive a
grade that is divided among all parties. It is possible to find answers to
some homework problems on the internet; do not do this. The point, after all,
is not to fool me into thinking that you have learned physics, but rather actually
to learn some physics.
- homework #1 - due Wednesday 1 February 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #2 - due Wednesday 8 February 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #3 - due Wednesday 15 February 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #4 - due Wednesday 22 February 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #5 - due Wednesday 1 March 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- No homework due on Wednesday 8 March 2017 because of the midterm exam.
- No homework due on Wednesday 15 March 2017 because of Spring Break.
- homework #6 - due Wednesday 22 March 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #7 - due Wednesday 29 March 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #8 - due Wednesday 5 April 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #9 - due Wednesday 12 April 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #10 - due Wednesday 19 April 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #11 Research paper draft - due Wednesday 26 April 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- homework #12 - due Wednesday 3 May 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- Research paper due Monday 8 May 2017 at 11:59:59pm
- Homework solutions
- Midterm Exam - Wednesday 8 March 2017 in class
- Final Exam - Wednesday 10 May 2017, 11:30am-2:30pm
- Recommended Reading:
- Cosmology - Leonard Susskind (2009)
- Cosmology - Leonard Susskind (2013)
Back to Professor Scalise's Home Page