Magnetic Dipole Moment Prelab Assignment
4-digit Code Number:_______________________________
- What is the definition of the north pole of a magnet? Bear in mind that
you can not see little arrows on the magnetic field lines; they are a
- In the model of the Earth's magnetic field, a giant bar magnet sits
inside the Earth. Which end of the bar magnet is near the Earth's
geographic North Pole? Explain your reasoning.
- Why was it stipulated that the amplitude of the magnet's oscillation
be kept small (less than 20o)?
- Write the equation that you will be graphing in slope-intercept form
and identify the ordinate, abscissa, slope, and y-intercept.
- What parameters do you need to calculate "C"?
- "I" is the moment of inertia of what object?
What parameters do you need to calculate "I"?
- Why is it necessary to find the slope of your graph before you can
determine the Earth's magnetic field?
Go to the lab