Archimedes' Principle Prelab Assignment
4-digit Code Number:_______________________________
- State Archimedes' Principle.
- What is specific gravity?
- Why are you advised to make several measurements of the diameter of the
ball, not all in the same plane? (Besides obviously reducing the random
- Why should alcohol be used in the pycnometer before the water?
- The density of pure isopropyl alcohol is 0.810 gram/cm3.
The alcohol used in this experiment was 30% water (by volume).
was made to find the new density? Show that this gives the answer
for 70% isopropyl alcohol found in the lab writeup.
- What is the formula for determining the specific gravity of the
floating ball in terms of the three measured elongations:
xA, xB, xC?
(Hint: it is NOT the same as equation (3) for the sinking ball.)
- A glass of water contains a large piece of ice floating without
touching the bottom of the glass. As you know, some of the ice
extends above the surface of the water.
As the ice melts, will the level of water in
the glass rise, remain the same, or fall? Explain.
Go to the lab