The URL of this page is http://www.physics.smu.edu/scalise/P3344sp13/
Classical Mechanics - Spring 2013
Professor Randall J. Scalise
- Lecture meeting times and place: Tuesday, Thursday 2:00-3:20PM in room 158 Fondren Science
- Office hours: by appointment.
- Call or leave a message at 768-2504, or
- Leave a note in the Physics Department Office - 106 Fondren Science, or
- send me e-mail:
- Text: Classical Mechanics by John R. Taylor
- Old Lecture Notes from Marion:
New lecture notes are on the syllabus webpage.
- Exam Dates: Open book, open notes, closed internet.
- Midterm - Tuesday 5 March 2013 in lecture
- Final - Monday 13 May 2013 8:00-11:00AM
- Homework - 60%
- Midterm - 20%
- Final - 20%
- Homework Assignments Due dates are strictly enforced.
50% if late; 0% once the solutions are posted.
- Assignment #1 due Wednesday 6 February 2013 at 11:00pm
- Assignment #2 due Wednesday 13 February 2013 at 11:00pm
- Assignment #3 due Wednesday 20 February 2013 at 11:00pm
- Assignment #4 due Wednesday 27 February 2013 at 11:00pm
- No homework due on 6 March 2013 because of the midterm exam.
- No homework due on 20 March 2013 because of the Spring Break.
- Assignment #5 due Wednesday 27 March 2013 at 11:00pm
- Assignment #6 due Wednesday 3 April 2013 at 11:00pm
- Assignment #7 due Wednesday 10 April 2013 at 11:00pm
- Assignment #8 due Wednesday 17 April 2013 at 11:00pm
- Assignment #9 due Wednesday 24 April 2013 at 11:00pm
- Assignment #10 due Wednesday 1 May 2013 at 11:00pm
- Homework Solutions
- Recommended Reading:
- Classical Dynamics by Marion and Thornton
- Classical Mechanics 2nd ed. by Vernon D. Barger and Martin G. Olsson
- Chaos by James Gleick
- Mathematica Manual by Stephen Wolfram
- Classical Mechanics by Herbert Goldstein
- Student learning outcome: Students will be able to apply their knowledge
of classical mechanics in solving physics problems.
- Relevant Web Sites:
Back to Professor Scalise's Home Page