The URL of this page is http://www.physics.smu.edu/scalise/P1303su09/
Physics 1303 - Introductory Mechanics
Summer I 2009 : 3 June - 2 July
Do not wait for the bookstore to order your textbook.
Order online and get your book faster and cheaper!
Professor Randall J. Scalise
- Lecture meeting times and place:
M-F 11:00am-12:50pm in room 158 Fondren Science
- Office hours: after lecture in room 107 Fondren Science
and by appointment.
- Call or leave a message at 768-2504, or
- Leave a note in the Physics Department Office - 106 Fondren Science, or
- send me e-mail:
- Text: Serway, Physics for Scientists and Engineers,
7th edition, Chapters 1-15.
- Lecture Notes:
- Practice Exams:
- Exam 1 - Spring 1996, 14 pages,
PDF (125128 bytes),
- Exam 2 - Spring 1996, 14 pages,
PDF (152428 bytes),
- Exam 3 - Spring 1996, 17 pages,
PDF (281522 bytes),
- Final - Spring 1996, 20 pages,
PDF (299075 bytes),
- Exam Dates: Closed book, one equation sheet allowed.
- Exam 1 - Friday 12 June 2009
- Exam 2 - Friday 19 June 2009
- Exam 3 - Friday 26 June 2009
- Final Exam (Cumulative) - Thursday 2 July 2009
- Make-up Exams: You must present me with a verifiable excuse
in writing. No make-up will be given for the final exam.
- Homework Quizzes: 20 minutes long,
at the beginning of lecture, closed book, based strongly on
- Make-up Quizzes: There are none.
- Reading Quizzes: Unannounced, based on the assigned reading,
very short, very easy (if you have done the assigned reading)
- Homework: Due on the day of the quiz.
- Laboratory: If you need the laboratory component of this course,
you must register for the one-credit laboratory course, Physics 1105.
- Grading: (Absolute, not curved)
Letter Grade Break Points
- Exam 1 - 20%
- Exam 2 - 20%
- Exam 3 - 20%
- Final - 20%
- Homework Quizzes - 10% (Drop lowest)
- Homework - 5% (Drop lowest)
- Reading Quizzes - 5% (Drop lowest)
- Grade Summary -
All the individual test grades arranged by four-digit code number
- Students with disabilities, medically excused absences, absences in general
Official University Calendar
- Homework Assignments
- Ch1 - Q:4,5,8; P:5,15,31,33,51; X:29.
- Ch3 - Q:1,3; P:2,4,9,21,25,41; X:35,61.
- Ch2 - Q:2,3,10,11; P:1,8,11,15,20,38; X:32,37,39.
- Ch4 - Q:7; P:8,17,24,29; X:35,48.
- Ch5 - Q:1,2,21,28; P:2,9,20,23,40,43; X:.
- Ch6 - Q:6,8,11; P:5,8,11,17,14,21,23,50; X:52,53,55.
- Ch7 - Q:7,8,14,20; P:1,7,13,16,32;X:.
- Ch8 - Q:; P:3,7,19,21; X: 54,55.
- Ch9 - Q:3,7; P:4,7,9,19,27,37; X:43.
- Ch10 - Q:1,17,20,23; P:3,19,21,22,33,34,65,77; X:51,83.
- Ch11 - Q:5,11,16; P:3,23,29,32,51; X:7,37.
- Ch12 - Q:4,12; P:2,4,11,37; X:43.
- Ch13 - Q:12,15,16; P:13,18,26; X:55.
- Ch15 - Q:5,10; P:3,16,28 X:.
Back to Professor Scalise's Home Page