The URL of this page is http://www.physics.smu.edu/scalise/P5337sp16/
Physics 5337 - Introduction to Solid State Physics
Physics 6338 - Condensed Matter Physics
Professor Randall J. Scalise
- Lecture meeting times and place: MWF 12:00noon-12:50PM in 152 Fondren Science Building
- Office hours: after lecture and T Th 12:30PM
- Call or leave a message at 768-2504, or
- Leave a note in the Physics Department Office - 102 Fondren Science, or
- send me e-mail:
- Exam Dates: Open book, open notes, open Mathematica, closed internet.
- Text: Introduction
to Solid State Physics 8th edition by Charles Kittel
- Lecture Notes:
- 15Jan16. See also
3D Crystal Viewer,
- 20Jan16. See also
17 Wallpaper patterns.
- 22Jan16. See also
- 25Jan16. See also
real Fourier series.
- 27Jan16. See also
complex Fourier series.
- 29Jan16. See also
Contravariant and covariant components.
- 01Feb16. See also
- 03Feb16. See also
- 05Feb16. See also
- 08Feb16. See also
van der Waals force,
London dispersion force.
- 10Feb16. See also
- 12Feb16. See also
- 15Feb16. See also
- 17Feb16. See also
- 19Feb16. See also
Spin-Statisitcs Theorem I,
Spin-Statisitcs Theorem II.
- 22Feb16. See also
Longitudinal and Transverse Wave Motion.
- 24Feb16. See also
- 26Feb16. See also
- 29Feb16. See also
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album cover
- 02Mar16. See also
William Allison's notes.
- 14Mar16. See also
Dispersion relations and mass for diatomic basis
- 16Mar16. See also
Quantum harmonic oscillator,
Ice bomb (the reason it is so difficult to perform experiments at constant volume).
- 18Mar16. See also
Density of states.
- 23Mar16. See also
- 28Mar16. See also
Particle in a box.
- 01Apr16. See also
PHYS 3374 L28,
PHYS 3374 L29,
PHYS 3374 L30,
PHYS 3374 L31,
PHYS 3374 L32,
PHYS 3374 L33.
- 11Apr16. See also
- 13Apr16. See also
- 18Apr16. See also
Periodic boundary conditions.
- 22Apr16. See also
Solids and Bandstructure
- 25Apr16. See also
- 27Apr16. Superfluidity. See also
- 29Apr16. Superconductivity. See also
- 02May16. Superconductivity continued. See also
- Finding Brillouin zones: A visual guide
- Brillouin Zones - U. of Cambridge
- Students with disabilities, medically excused absences, absences in general
Official University Calendar
- Homework: Due dates are strictly enforced. 50% if late; 0%
once the solutions are posted. You may work together, but the work
that you turn in should be unique. Identical work will receive a grade
that is divided among all parties. It is possible to find answers to
some homework problems on the internet; do not do this. The point,
after all, is not to fool me into thinking that you have learned
physics, but rather actually to learn some physics.
- HW01 due Wednesday 27 January 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW02 due Wednesday 3 February 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW03 due Wednesday 10 February 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW04 due Wednesday 17 February 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW05 due Wednesday 24 February 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- No homework due 2 March because of the midterm on 4 March
- No homework due 16 March because of Spring Break
- HW06 due Wednesday 23 March 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW07 due Wednesday 30 March 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW08 due Wednesday 6 April 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW09 due Wednesday 13 April 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW10 due Wednesday 20 April 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- HW11 due Wednesday 27 April 2016 at 11:59:59pm
- Homework Solutions
- Other Resources:
Back to Professor Scalise's Home Page