The URL of this page is http://www.physics.smu.edu/~scalise/P7311fa13/
Electromagnetic Theory I - Fall 2013
Professor Randall J. Scalise
- Lecture meeting times and place: Tuesday, Thursday 11:00am-12:20pm in room 26 Fondren Science Building
- Office hours: by appointment.
- Call or leave a message at 768-2504, or
- Leave a note in the Physics Department Office - 102 Fondren Science, or
- send me e-mail:
- Classical Electrodynamics by Jackson (3rd edition)
- Lecture Notes
- Lecture 1
- Lecture 2
- Lecture 3
- Lecture 4, Green functions (1/2), Green functions (2/2)
- Lecture 5
- Lecture 6
- Lecture 7, page 7-18
- Lecture 8
- Lecture 9
- Lecture 10
- Lecture 11
- Lecture 12
- Lecture 13
- Lecture 14
- Lecture 15
- Conformal mapping, Notes from Peter Olver
- Variational Techniques: Feynman Lectures 2-19, Jackson 1.12
- Lecture 16
- Lecture 17
- Lecture 18
- Lecture 19
- Lecture 20
- Lecture 21, On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies, by A. Einstein June 30, 1905
- Lecture 22, Extra notes
- Lecture 23
- Lecture 24
- Lecture 25
- Lecture 26
- Lecture 27, Hidden
Momentum, Purported Relativity Paradox Resolved
- Lecture 28
- Superconductivity PDF, audio
- Do uniformly accelerated charges radiate?
- Ponderomotive force and Wikipedia entry
- Homework 60%
- MidtermExam 20%
- Final Exam 20%
- Homework Assignments Due dates are strictly enforced.
50% if late; 0% once the solutions are posted.
- Assignment #1: PDF due Wednesday 4 September 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Assignment #2: PDF due Wednesday 11 September 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Assignment #3: PDF due Wednesday 18 September 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Assignment #4: PDF due Wednesday 25 September 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Assignment #5: PDF due Wednesday 2 October 2013 at 5:00pm.
- No homework due on Wednesday 9 October 2013 because of the midterm exam.
- Bonus - 10 points on the midterm exam, due Wednesday 16 October 2013 at 5:00pm
For the conformal map z=2/(2 Pi) (1 + f + e^f), use a computer plotting package to draw the
lines representing equipotentials and electric fields, as on the last page of the notes.
- No homework due on Wednesday 16 October 2013 because of Fall Break.
- Assignment #6: PDF due Wednesday 23 October 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Assignment #7: PDF due Wednesday 30 October 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Assignment #8: PDF due Wednesday 6 November 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Assignment #9: PDF due Wednesday 13 November 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Assignment #10: PDF due Wednesday 20 November 2013 at 5:00pm.
- No homework due on Wednesday 27 November 2013 because of Thanksgiving.
- Assignment #11: PDF due Wednesday 4 December 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Magnetism study problems
- Sample final exam
- Homework solutions
- Midterm Exam - Thursday 10 October 2013 in class (open book, open notes).
- Final Exam - Saturday 14 December 2013, 8:00-11:00am in room 26 Fondren Science (open book, open notes).
- Student learning outcome: Students will be able to apply their knowledge
of electromagnetic theory in solving physics problems.
- Recommended Reading:
- Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths
- Fundamentals of Electromagnetic Phenomena by Lorrain and Corson
- Electromagnetic Fields and Energy by Herman A. Haus and James R. Melcher
Back to Professor Scalise's Home Page